Picture this; you just invested in Bitcoin or Ethereum, and you want to ensure your digital assets are safe and secure. Now, you’ve heard of the Ellipal Titan, a cold wallet that boasts ultimate security features. But is it all just hype, or is it the real deal? Buckle up as we take you through our detailed Ellipal Titan review, and help you decide if it’s the crypto wallet you’ve been searching for.
What Is The Ellipal Titan?
The Ellipal Titan is a hardware wallet that stores cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, and many others. It is a cold wallet, meaning it is not connected to the internet, making it less susceptible to hacking attempts and other cyber threats. The device is shaped like a small smartphone and has a large touch screen that makes navigating and managing your crypto assets easy.
One of the Ellipal Titan’s standout features is its air-gapped design that ensures the device is completely isolated from any network or internet connection. This design makes it highly secure and ensures that your private keys and sensitive information remain safe from cyber attacks.
Unlike other hardware wallets, including Ledger Nano X, KeepKey, Trezor One, Ledger Nano S Plus, and the Trezor Model T, the Ellipal Titan connects to your blockchain address through QR code scans. The other wallets require you to connect them to a laptop or smartphone, which can be tedious.
Additionally, the Ellipal Titan comes with a range of other security features, including a tamper-evident design, and a multi-signature function which protects your digital assets.
When buying a hardware wallet, it is imperative to consider some of its features, including; ease of use, security, portability, connectivity, crypto support, and price. Let’s see how this wallet meets your requirements below. But first;
Ellipal Titan Pros
- It is an air-gapped hardware wallet, so it will keep your portfolio very safe offline
- Excellent mobile compatibility
- Tamper-proof design
- Excellent built-in display
- Very responsive touchscreen
- It comes with an SD card
- Easy to use through QR codes
Ellipal Titan Cons
- A bit expensive
- Quite bulky
- Supports few digital assets compared to some alternatives
- No desktop compatibility
- Some users have trouble recharging the battery
- Tiresome to update the firmware without a wired connection
What’s In the Box?
The wallet comes in a neat box wrapped in plastic wrap. However, when you remove the plastic wrap, there is no anti-tamper seal, which is not an issue since the wallet itself comes in an anti-tamper design. As a result, any attempt to tamper with the wallet before it gets to you will result in irreparable damage, and you won’t be able to set it up.
When you buy the Ellipal Titan crypto wallet, you will find the following items in the box:
- The Ellipal Titan wallet
- A charging cord
- An SD card for updating the firmware
- A security adapter
- A user manual
- Recover seed sheets
Note, you can also order the wallet with a Mnemonic Metal, which is a weatherproof metal case where you can store the seed phrase more securely. It is small and lightweight, so you can carry it with you and even put a small padlock on it to keep your seed phrase safe. This case will set you back around $20.
How To Set Up The Ellipal Titan
When you get the Ellipal Titan, here are the steps to follow and complete the setup in a few minutes:
- Since it is a rechargeable wallet, it is best to charge it before you use it. You will use the USB cable to charge it.
- When fully charged, turn the wallet on by pressing the power button until the screen displays the Ellipal logo.
- Upgrade the wallet’s firmware if necessary. To do so, open the Ellipal website and download the latest firmware onto the SD card that came with the wallet. Then, insert the SD card into the wallet; you will find the port in the rear, just above the battery. You can visit the Ellipal website to follow their firmware upgrade instructions.
- When you have the latest firmware, create a new account on the wallet and create your password. After that, the wallet will generate a 12-word mnemonic (recovery phrase) that you need to record and store safely. You can use the recovery sheets provided or the mnemonic metal case. Double-check your entries before storing the phrases.
- Select the cryptocurrencies you want to store. After you finish, you will need to download the official Ellipal app onto your smartphone, then scan QR codes with both devices to pair them. You will use the Ellipal app to access and manage your portfolio.
Ellipal Titan Top Features
There are several best crypto wallets on the market today, especially those from the Ledger, Trezor, and KeepKey companies. The Ellipal Titan is the newest addition to the list and promises the same, if not better, security and operational features. Let’s see which features make it a good wallet to use.
Nothing is more important in the crypto world than security. Unfortunately, many people lose their cryptocurrencies when their wallets are hacked, and this is why a hardware wallet is vital because it keeps your private keys offline. But not all hardware wallets are the same; some have good features while others have the best. Here is how the Ellipal Titan fairs:
- Air-gapped system: The Ellipal Titan has an air-gapped system, which means it is completely isolated from the internet and other external networks. This makes it quite impossible for hackers or malicious software to access your private keys and steal your cryptocurrencies.
- QR codes: As an air-gapped wallet, you complete transactions on this wallet through QR codes, unlike other hardware wallets that you have to connect to laptops through a USB cable. QR codes are faster and safer, verifiable, and transparent.
- Multiple layers of encryption: The Ellipal Titan uses various layers of encryption to secure your private keys and transactions. The device features a Secure Element chip that provides hardware-level encryption, while the Ellipal App uses AES-256 encryption to protect your data.
- PIN code protection: You can set a unique 6-digit PIN code for the Ellipal Titan, which acts as an additional layer of protection against unauthorized access. The device will lock itself after three incorrect PIN attempts.
- Anti-tampering mechanism: The Ellipal Titan has an anti-tampering mechanism that detects any physical attempts to open or modify the device. If tampering is detected, the device will automatically delete all data and render itself unusable.
- Self-destruct mechanism: In case of a physical attack or if the device is lost or stolen, you can remotely wipe the wallet using the recovery card. You will only need to enter your recovery phrase on a new wallet, thereby deleting the information on your older Ellipal Titan.
The Ellipal Titan cold wallet has a sleek and sturdy design that is both functional and aesthetically pleasing. Here are the key features of the wallet’s build:
- The Ellipal Titan features a large, 4-inch touchscreen that allows you to navigate the wallet’s menus and features easily. The screen is bright and easy to read, making it simple to manage your cryptocurrencies even in bright or dimly lit environments.
- The wallet is made with high-quality materials, including a rugged metal case built to withstand physical wear and tear. The device is also IP65 rated, which means it is water-resistant and dust-resistant, providing additional protection against environmental factors.
- Despite its large touchscreen, the Ellipal Titan is surprisingly compact and lightweight, making it easy to carry wherever you go. The device measures just 118mm x 66mm x 9.7mm and weighs only 105g, making it one of the most portable cold wallets on the market.
- The Ellipal Titan does not have a USB port, which reduces the risk of physical attacks or malware infections. Instead, the wallet uses QR codes and Bluetooth to transfer data, providing an extra layer of security against cyber attacks.
- The wallet is powered by a rechargeable lithium battery that provides up to 4 hours of continuous use on a single charge. The device can be easily charged using the included USB-C cable.
c) Ease of Use
The Ellipal Titan is easy to use, from the setup to performing transactions. Thanks to the large screen plus intuitive user interface, the wallet allows you to double-check and confirm details easily before you verify transactions.
In addition, the wallet uses QR codes to complete requests. So, as long as you have the wallet and your smartphone, you will efficiently complete transactions even on the move. This is the best alternative to how other wallets require you to have a computer with you when you want to transact.
The Ellipal Titan supports many popular cryptos and assets. While it does not match up to the alternative wallets that support thousands of cryptocurrencies, tokens, and apps, Titan supports over 33 cryptos and ERC-20 tokens. The cryptos include;
- Bitcoin (BTC)
- Ethereum (ETH)
- XRP (XRP)
- Litecoin (LTC)
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH)
- Binance Coin (BNB)
- Tether (USDT)
- Stellar (XLM)
- EOS (EOS)
- Tron (TRX)
e) Supported Operating Systems
The Ellipal Titan is only compatible with smartphones. Since you need to use a camera to scan QR codes for transactions, you can only pair the Titan with your Android or Apple smartphone. While this is good when you want to transact on the move, the lack of desktop compatibility may not appeal to some, especially if you would rather confirm transactions on a bigger screen.
When buying a crypto wallet, it is always to choose one that you can use on the move. That makes selecting the size and weight imperative, as it should be a device you can easily slip into your pocket or bag.
The Ellipal Titan resembles a small mobile phone, so you can carry it anywhere. However, it is definitely bigger than other wallets that resemble a USB drive, and will feel heavier compared to those.
The Ellipal Titan is one of the more expensive wallets, selling at around $150, and more if you want also to purchase the mnemonic metal case. However, it offers some of the best security features compared to its competitors.
Ellipal Titan Drawbacks
While this is one of the best wallets in the market, it also comes with a few drawbacks, including;
- Few supported cryptocurrencies. The wallet only supports a handful of cryptos and assets, which is a deal breaker compared to other wallets that support thousands of digital assets.
- While it is imperative to keep updating the wallet’s firmware for the best security, the process is quite tedious. You will need to download the new firmware onto the SD card, then install it on the wallet. Some users have critiqued this process, with some facing numerous obstacles like the SD card not reading or the download not completing fast.
- The Titan also lacks desktop compatibility, which may be a drawback for users who use crypto exchanges on their desktops.
- Limited third-party support: The Ellipal Titan does not support as many third-party wallets and applications as other popular cold wallets. This may be a disadvantage for users who want to use their cryptocurrency in different ways, such as staking or using decentralized finance (DeFi) platforms.
If you’re looking for a practical, user-friendly cold wallet with advanced security features, the Ellipal Titan is worth considering. With a large touch screen, easy-to-use interface, and support for many popular cryptocurrencies, the Ellipal Titan is a powerful tool for managing and securing your digital assets.